Home > Information for Alumni
Information for Alumni
Many nostalgic alumni who fondly look back on their days of graduate school at the UA Graduate Institute of Technology will recall the old Medical School at 12th and McAlmont Streets in downtown Little Rock. GIT took over that five story building with its wide marble staircase and imposing view of MacArthur Park in 1957. As the Tech Campus, several different units of the university moved in, including an impressive library offering over 21,000 volumes of scientific and technical titles. Click here to view a slideshow of GIT's history.
Sketch of GIT's original location
From the third floor up the building was GIT: classrooms and state-of-the-art laboratories for teaching and research toward the MS or PhD programs in Chemistry, Mathematics, and Electronics and Instrumentation. The fabric making up GIT is a loose weave of scientific disciplines: chemistry, physics, math, biological sciences, and all manner of engineering. Interwoven through the years are students who come from India, China, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Lebanon, Turkey, Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, for graduate study in Arkansas alongside many Americans.
Following their graduation, students scatter out into the world while GIT remains steadfastly home in Little Rock. Undergoing our own changes, we moved from the Tech Campus in 1987 to the new UALR Engineering Technology and Applied Science Building at 2801 South University Avenue. Those academic departments mentioned above are now independent of GIT, belonging instead to their respective colleges on campus. As noted in other sections of this site, GIT functions primarily as a service agency between EIT (College of Engineering and Information Technology) and COS (College of Science), furnishing lab equipment, computers, machining, and technical support. Graduate students continue to play a major role. Funding from GIT supports 38 research and/or teaching assistantships to the Applied Science graduate program.